Sunday, February 7, 2010

Should've trusted my instincts

I've been reading through a number of bean cookbooks, so when I got to Suzanne Caciola White's The Daily Bean, I thought there might be something odd about it. She starts with a heartwarming story about how her husband was told by a naturopath doctor to eat beans 3x/day to cure his diabetes. She spends only two pages discussing how to cook beans, before launching into sections on black, white, garbanzo, red, and lentil beans. I've never seen a bean cookbook that so actively discouraged use of dried beans over canned: the author claims there is no difference. I found the recipes either repetitive or simply "puree beans and put them in this standard recipe."

In my selfless devotion to my readers, I decided to try her Black Bean Curry recipe. It sounded reasonable enough - curry powder, onion, garlic, tomatoes, black beans - but the directions were poor. It said to put the onion, garlic, tomatoes, and green pepper in all at once, which would've resulted in overcooked vegetables.

There's the germ of a nice little bean dish in this recipe, but alas, the thing in my pot right now is not it. Maybe if I'd cooked the beans overnight in my crockpot with the curry powder... The resultant "curry" is almost inedible. I wonder if Ms. White has actually cooked beans, let alone this dish.

No comments: