Monday, November 30, 2009

Hobbit Day!

Any major holiday with my family is a hobbit day, but Thanksgiving is even more so. While I didn't cook for this holiday, I'd be a poor food blogger if I didn't at least acknowledge the holiday.

The meal started later than usual this year - I got pre- and post-meal naps. Appetizers were surprisingly healthy - there were veggies and honey mustard horseradish dip and fewer unhealthy options. My mother went over the top with sides this year, making stuffing, turnips, green beans, and homemade cranberry relish. I liked her stuffing more than I have in some years past, possibly bc she's started putting sausage into it. I wasn't crazy about the turnips or green beans, both of which were simply cooked with a little (similar) flavoring. I was surprised by the cranberry relish - my mother usually doesn't make anything that can be so readily purchased - but it was delish with a bright flavor that contrasted well with the other dishes.

The star of the day was her sweet potatoes. My sister had written me a piteous text earlier in the week about my mother's refusal to put marshmallows on the sweet potatoes, but after tasting this year's recipe, I'm okay with that. My mother says we're too old for marshmallows and apparently that means butter, brown sugar, and rum. I called dibs on the leftovers immediately.

I was very excited to have turkey leftovers for paleo goodness this week, but while the 12 of us didn't eat that much at the meal, we gave some to my grandparents such that all remained after lunch on Saturday was half a breast. oops.

After the traditional Thanksgiving movie and naps, we moved on to my uncle's lasagna and flan. I used to be a purist when it comes to lasagna, but after eating his, I've decided sausage, chicken, and spinach belong in lasagna. I'm never a big flan fan, but the caramel at the bottom of the pan was incredible, with smokiness that never made it into the dessert. I think I got the better end of that deal.

I wish I'd paid more attention to the cooking of the day though, bc I'm buying a dining table today and will have seats for 10 next year, which may well mean I'll be hosting next year. EEK!

No comments: