Sunday, March 1, 2009

Orzo with barbecue chicken

I love living next door to Dallas BBQ. My Texan friend tells me it's not real bbq, but that's ok - why learn to roast chicken when I can have one at my door in <15 mins, for <$10?

Instead of using the last breast as a topping for a romaine and tomato salad as I usually do, this morning I ate it with orzo. I fried some onions and in the same pot, boiled water for whole wheat orzo. I bought the orzo once upon a time, thinking I'd replicate my favorite dish from Aux Delice, an orzo salad, but apparently cooking orzo is not as simple as I thought. I once tried it in a rice cooker - terrible idea, it turned into a tan sludge. This morning I followed the directions on the jar, cooking it like a pasta; the only difference was that there was a little olive oil and onions in the pan already. Unfortunately, the orzo turned out to be a little wetter than I wanted. On the other hand, the onions perfectly set off the chicken (and leftover barbecue sauce) to make a flavorful repast.

No comments: