Saturday, March 21, 2009

Homemade bacon bits with a side of soup


I thought it might be nice to have a light soup to munch on while I watched tv tonight and fortunately for me, a kindly friend had sent me a jar of Williams-Sonoma butternut puree. The recipe called for 3tbsp of butter, but it seemed to me that bacon drippings might add a certain something to the soup. I used a strip of bacon, removing the bits of bacon when they were crisp and continuing with the recipe. The mix of apples and shallots was very fragrant, even before I added cinnamon, freshly grated ginger, and a 1/4c of aromatic white wine.

The end result was a bit acidic by itself and I wasn't quite sure how to tone it down, but once I added the laid aside bacon bits, it was delicious. So delicious, I accidentally ate the entire bowl before I'd finished cleaning the kitchen, never mind the tv. oops!

No comments: